Lucas Bodine

Lucas Bodine

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Canada Here I Come: Red Deer to be Exact!


Its official! I can now say that I have been tracting, used mission funds, given missionary lessons, given pass along cards out and all that jazz. Last the world has heard of me I was in Provo, Utah. I sure had a great stay there and I learned so much great things. But now I am in Canada!

On Tuesday I woke up at 2 in the morning to leave the mtc at 3 and catch a flight to Denver at 6. After a quick 1 hour flight I had the chance of talking to the greatest parents in the world. Even though it was 5 short minutes it was some of the best minutes that I have had since leaving home :) After arriving in Edmonton one of the elders got caught up in the visa areas because he didn't have a passport book but a card. Long story short we waited for him for about an hour... fun...

Soon after that we met the assistant to the president and also the mission president and his wife. We first went to the mission office got our paperwork and other office things settled. After that we went to the Mission president’s house. We wrote a quick letter home while president had some interviews. If you didn't know this already mission presidents see your picture since you get your call. Even before the 7 elders came he picked out a trainer to work with us and the area where we were going. The interviews are for a confirmation of what he felt was right after getting to know the person better. That was a really cool experience by itself. After some interviews we had a nap and awesome dinner and then a sweet fireside. It got me pumped. Tuesday to Thursday I was not feeling well at all but I persevered (sorry). The next morning we met and I found out who my companion would be and who would be and what area I would serve. I am with Elder Chappell from Wayne County Utah; he says it’s as Podunk as it sounds haha. He had been on his mission for 20 months and he is going on 6 months here in red deer 3rd ward. I am also his 3 straight training comp. I just hope that he doesn’t leave me for the wilderness next transfer in 6 weeks. But Elder Chappell is an awesome guy. We work really well together. I just hope that I can be just a little bit as wise as he is.

I also found out that I am going to Red Deer Canada. It’s about and hour and a half south of the big city of Edmonton. But it’s a pretty big city it’s self. It’s kinda like Mesa but not as densely populated. After getting my new assignments we had a transfer meeting. Since this was the Rhodes last transfer meeting it was pretty special. President Rhodes gave an awesome, awesome talk, when it’s really good we call it prophesying. But after that we took a ride to Red Deer and off I went. I dropped of my bags and started going to work.

The first door we knocked we met Ben, a guy from the Philippines who works here for the oil. He hasn’t been following up on his appointments but it was awesome that the first door I knocked on that we had a lesson and possibly a new investigator. My first meal was at the Zamnos family. A family from Mexico, I don't think I could have eaten more food in one meal, She just kept on bringing more and more dishes haha but I loved it!

The next day we had district meeting and it was awesome sauce. There are 3 missionaries from Mesa. Me, Elder Ben Richards from Mesa High(worked at Milano’s) and Elder Boatright (a person’s older brother that was in chorale with me). But yeah I am already finding myself using eh and hey. The older generation uses eh and the younger generation is hey. So whenever I talk to Elder Chappell I am always adding an hey at the end. But yeah there is even different food here, a donar and protein and some other stuff.

The one thing that I have been surprised about is about the culture. I have met Phillipenos, Mexicans, Indians, Canadians, snowbirds, Chileans, Brits, Sikhs. You name it. And I am not even in Edmonton where it’s even more diverse from what I have heard. It is really cool though. I am glad that a Mexican family said that they would make me some Mexican food to make me feel at home. When I tell people that I am from Mesa either they know what I am talking about or think about cowboys...oh gee.

I am in a driving mission. We have an 08 or 09 Chevy Malibu. It’s nice to get around but we walk allot too. We have to be under so many kilometers. Oh yeah I am still in American measurements. I have some work to do when it gets to meters, liters, Celsius and all that stuff haha.

Mission work is work. From what I've heard from everybody is right, the mission is where you will get the best sleep of your life. It feels like a short nap but every night at 10:30 I am out. My comp. said that the other night it took me about 3 minutes to get to sleep haha. But my first Sunday was great. We had 2 investigators come to church. I really think 1 of them will get baptized. Gaylord is a man from the Philippines who has a wife and 2 kids back there and he just a great, humble man. He is making some real progress. Last night we met with Brother Walters. I don't think I have ever learned about so much oil in any visits here in Red Deer yet haha. But his wife is a great member but he isn't a member. His wife said that he wouldn't even step foot into church and now he goes every Sunday in a white shirt a tie. He is reluctant to make that change but he as already made some changes so why not a little more?

Also this Sunday was the anniversary of Joseph Smith's death in Carthage. My testimony about him has grown soo much. I am grateful for him. He has helped bring the fullness of the gospel into our lives. We have the fullness. My testimony of faith has grown too. Allot of people I meet say, I have faith, I believe in Christ so I will be saved. But Faith without works is dead. Faith is good but if we don't have the works that go along we don't have the faith. I love this gospel I love being a missionary I love my savoir Jesus Christ I love the lord, I am a child of god and he loves me.

As a missionary my main purpose it to cry repentance unto people(DC 15:6) How do I do that? Through commitments according to PMG. So I am going to give everyone a commitment today in this email. Will you think of people that could benefit from the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ? If so get a hold of the missionaries and get them lessons. If not...well pray about it to get some names. This is the MOST important work in the world and without members helps a missionaries life would be much harder. I love ya and pray for you!

Till next Monday Godspeed.

Elder Lucas Alan Bodine

No comments:

Post a Comment